Which Weight Loss Surgery Is Best For You?
Find the Best Procedure for Your Goals and Lifestyle
Have you struggled with your weight for years? You’ve likely tried various programs and plans, hoping to find the diet that works for you. Perhaps you’re now experiencing related health problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, reflux or sleep apnea, and you’re no longer able to enjoy activities you used to love.
If diet and exercise haven’t been enough and your health and quality of life are suffering, you may be a good candidate for bariatric surgery.
Weight Loss Surgery Requirements
- BMI of 40 or higher, or more than 100 lbs overweight, or
- BMI of 35 or higher with at least one obesity-related health condition, including gastrointestinal disorders, heart disease, high blood pressure, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, osteoarthritis, sleep apnea, or type 2 diabetes, and
- Are able to follow restrictive diet and exercise guidelines, since you may need to do so after your procedure
- Have a strong support system or are willing to attend support groups post-op
Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
|Gastric Sleeve (Sleeve Gastrectomy)||Gastric Balloon (Intragastic Balloon)|
|Lab-Band (Adjustable Gastric Banding)||Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty|
*If performed laproscopically
Best Candidates for Weight Loss Surgery
- Meet weight loss surgery requirement above
- Follow pre-op diet in the weeks preceding procedure
- Follow post-op diet, including liquid diet immediately after procedure
- Keep follow-up appointments and consultations
- Eat healthy
- Take regimen of supplements avoid vitamin deficiencies
- Make lifestyle changes, such as exercising regularly
- Address problem behavior, such as emotional eating
Which Weight Loss Surgery is Right for You?
The best weight loss surgery for you will depend on a number of factors, such as how much weight you want to lose and whether you have a preference for reversible or non-reversible procedures. These quiz questions will help determine which procedure is best suited to your goals and lifestyle